Monday, July 23, 2012

Costa Rica - Journal Entry #3


via

via

via

via

via

April 24, 2012

It's weird. You'd think when you're surrounded by such beauty, it'd be difficult to feel anything but pure joy. Oddly enough, I've felt a range of emotions today; lonely, intense vunerability, and unexplained sadness. It seems downright silly to feel such emotions in a place most will rarely have the opportunity to visit.


Had I been surround by anyone except for this group of women, I would have most likely judged myself for these thoughts and emotions. It is a different mindset here. 


Lori spoke earlier about how small children cope with their emotions conversely to adults. A child often transitions from crying hysterically to running around like crazy. Then, giggling to sniffling tears, falling asleep, and back to playing again with big smiles. They feel their feelings and they experience them fully as they come.


Why as adults do we tend to judge our emotions? 


"I can't be tired now, I have more errands to run." "I'm hungry but dinner is not for another two hours." "I can feel the tears welling up but I'm at work." "I feel like staying home to rest but my friends are waiting."


Why do we judge our thoughts and feelings rather than let ourselves feel them without fear, doubt, or even apologies?


Here it's easier to feel like children do. Just this afternoon I teared up during a conversion with some of the ladies. 


Then, I cried. I cried a really deep cry. 


The day and my emotions completely transformed when a spontaneous dance party evolved out on the yoga deck after dinner. 


There's something to dancing freely under the Costa Rican stars overlooking the ocean and mountains. It is both an idealistic feeling that could be deemed as merely wishful thinking and a moment of jubilant, comfortable, grateful reality. 


The ladies formed a circle and each one paraded through the middle. It didn't matter what had brought you here, what had brought tears to your face earlier, or what was going on at home. This was the epitome of living in the moment and we were feeling our emotions as they came and as the beat of each song played on.  


And this time, I laughed. I laughed a really deep laugh. 


xoxo-
K

No comments:

Post a Comment